Riding Shotgun

ramblings from the passenger's seat

Monday, November 01, 2004

Fact, fiction and telling stories to yourself.
Dishonesty is a given but how about lying?
I find I lie an awful lot more than I should. Not for any particular reason just because why not say yes rather than no. Not ever, not usually about anything that I perceive as important but all the same. I suppose sometimes I lie for a reason too. I had a friend in Australia, an angular red-headed fellow, he lived on Allambee (I was on Bringa, our streets were alphabetised from A-G), he went to my school, he had a driven nature and played Clarinet, he once told me just to see if you can discern a reason for a lie and if not to trust the person. He didn't put it exactly like that but that was the moral of the story. The girls in the cast of my play were discussing lying one day, neither of them could ever be described as red-headed or angular, they were talking about how they enjoyed lying just to see if they could. It wasn't to get out of trouble or to hassle others it simply was a game. I never really trusted what they told me after that but frankly what could I do suspicion takes too much energy and it was more fun to believe their stories. I think I relate more to them then to him. I wonder if anyones ever noticed inconsistencies or mistruths in my speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home