Riding Shotgun

ramblings from the passenger's seat

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I remember this one time on a plane there was this girl sitting in front of me. At the time she struck me as attractive, she had red hair. It was a pan-pacific flight and it was the middle of the night. All the lights on the plane were set to that dim the-movies-are-over-so-go-to-sleep lighting. She had her reading light on, a book about horses if memory serves, something vapid and girly I bet. I was ostensibly readin, I mean my reading light was on, but really I was sitting there bored and not really tired and racking my brains to figure out some way to talk to her. I decided at the time to use the now cliched and contrived drop something routine. So with what I assume was subtlety I dropped my hat through the crack in the seats, she didnt twitch. I sat for a while just waiting. Then a peered over the seat and asked for my hat, as politely as possible, I probably used "Excuse me" at the start of the sentence. She passed me my hat, I thanked her, she looked at me and I sat back down. That was the end of that. She was wearing a yellow t-shirt and she was part of some group because there were a lot of kids in yellow t-shirts on that particular flight.

Pedro Almodovar claims that anything that isn't autobiography is plagiarism. The frontman from the Junior Boys, whose name eludes me although Greenspan seems right, thinks that it takes a great deal of arrogance or perhaps confidence to be autobiographical. You have to assume that your life is interesting enough that other people will find enjoyment in reading it. I don't know who I agree with. You're always told to write what you know and yet if all you know is suburbs and high schools and neighbourhood streets why bother writing it? Sure you know your own story best but is your own story worth knowing? The article about Greenspan talked about this being some post-suburban manifestation of middle-class boredom. Is that really the case, is it only recently that we've realised that we may be boring? It might have happened earlier in one of the other years. It might have happened from the advent of the written word, or maybe not. Almodovar is considered one of the greatest cinematic artists of our time, the Junior Boys are an electro-pop group getting phenomenal press at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home